As I relax in someone’s obnoxiously large home that my wife’s family rented for a family vacation (which could double as a great church buiding), on an obnoxiously large lake (with 1300 miles of shoreline), and an obn0xiously painful sunburn (especially on my knees), I thought I appropriate to reflect on what I know to be true about rest.
- Rest and inactivity are not the same
- Structured rest is more restful
- Rest is not escape from creation but an attempt to learn how to embrace it more fully
- Rest helps correct distorted perspective
- As I rest, I learn that I do not need to fill silent moments with meaningless chatter