As we stand in the shadow of father’s day, I thought I would reflect on what I know to be true about being a dad (or mom for that matter).
- Fatherhood requires my full attention. I find that I get most frustrated in parenting when I am only partially present to my children when I am with them.
- Things my children will enjoy likely develop out of the things that I do with them.
- My personal mental, emotional, spiritual, and physical health directly affects my kids for better or for worse.
- It’s okay to let family life monopolize my time and attention, especially when my kids are younger.
- Watching my children practice compassion and engage in acts of kindness elicits a deep and profound joy. (I wonder how our heavenly Father feels when we do this?)